Monday 22 August 2011

Week 7

escapism n. Indulging in enjoyable activities so as to ignore unpleasant realities
I’m writing this in the beautiful Findhorn.  What a stunning part of Scotland.  I’ve never been here before but people rave about this place and now I can see why.  I’ve got friendly neighbours and the sea is a few hundred metres away.  I’ve got Skye’s head on my lap as I type this and a glass of red wine within reach.

So let me take you back...I got back from my last trip on Monday and really only had Tuesday to organise things for this trip – because on Wednesday I ticked another one of my actions off my checklist – get a “new look”.  I got a perm!!!  How very 80’s!  Thanks to Jennifer at Bodywork Aveda and to Olivia for organising.  I forgot how long a perm takes but Jennifer was awesome and I am over the moon with the results. I’ve got long hair so I never really expected actual curls in my hair but I have a lovely kink which looks kinda surfy or messy when left to dry – just what I was looking for!  Having said that, I haven’t washed it yet.  I have to leave it for 48 hours which is why it was perfect to be camping!
 
I got back home late on Wednesday night and on Thursday morning I headed up to Findhorn Sands.  It was a slow journey and - of course - I had a queue of traffic behind me...with my max speed 50 mph and up hills more like 38 mph!!!  But I made it here!  The campsite is definitely more laid back than last week.  I had the usual numpty stuff going on though – at reception I was given pitch 18 and I found it ok – so far so good.  But do you park in front of the “number stone” or behind it???  I parked behind it first (2 attempts) then took Skye to the beach and came back and found my neighbours parking in front of the stone so I disconnected my electrics and moved a few feet forward then finally settled.  Honestly, I will get used to all this camping etiquette.  Dougal is settled and looking very cool with his new purchases:
Plus the new lighting courtesy of my lovely sis-in-law:

 
After a cuppie, Skye got another walk:
I arrived back to Dougal at teatime and heard a welcome sound – music playing in my neighbour’s caravan!  To top it all, the black lab from 2 caravans up was off lead! Hallelujah! With that in mind, I got my wine open, stuck on Marvin Gaye and made my tea and let Skye eat her chew outside off lead – shhh don’t tell!  Tea was delicious.  I had leftover Jamie Oliver pasta sauce from last weekend so I made it again along with sweet chilli salmon. Yum.
I savoured every mouthful and took in the wonderful views and counted my blessing that I get to life such a wonderful life.  Honestly, I am in total heaven.  Skye came and sat with me on the sofa and rested her head on the table after I finished my meal – how cute is she?
My i-tunes is now playing "The girl from Ipenema” by Astrud Gilberto...but it fits with the chilled out atmosphere here.  I’m going to sign off now and continue this tomorrow...

Friday morning was spectacular.  I woke up about 7.30am to beaming sunshine so after a bit of reiki, got up and walked Skye along the beach then it was back for breakfast, shower, another walk, lunch, nap, walk, tea then sleep eventually...I can’t begin to tell you how amazing it is to feel this relaxed.  The day has been tremendous...the sun was shining and my meals have been eaten outside.  Talking of which, here’s my menu for the day:

Breakfast was my usual Special K topped with my home-made superfood topping consisting of: Wheatgerm, Oatbran, flaxseeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, gogi berries and coconut. 
Lunch was Jamie Oliver’s Mackerel Pate (yes, again for those of you who know that I eat this ALL the time) with crispbread and salad with a balsamic dressing.
Dinner was sweet chilli salmon with sun-dried tomato and garlic couscous with sweet chilli houmous and salad with balsamic dressing.
The afternoon walk took me to the Findhorn Foundation where I bought a few nic-naks from the gift shop for Dougal.  He’s looking great – all homely and cosy now. 
And a final word on camping – it can be dangerous – I am covered in bruises!  I keep banging into things or whacking my head off the cupboards. I feel each trip is making me a worthy camper.  My fellow campers here in Findhorn are truly magnificent – so chatty and friendly – are campers always like  this?  Also, does wine ALWAYS taste better when camping with Dougal?  Oh, talking of which – a few people have asked me why my van is a male – well, it’s because he protects me and keeps me safe and warm – isn’t that what every woman wants from a man???

2 comments:

  1. What a great post Julie! Really enjoyed seeing your pics of your trip and MY OH MY don't you eat well when you camp! Looks delicious. Dougal is looking magnificent with all his homely touches and I love the stickers. Can't wait to get you and him over to the beach in Holland. Lots of love xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh, Julie. What a life you have. I just read that while sitting in the office where the air con is broken and it's not only about 100 degrees, but the windows don't open (suicide risk) and it's really smelly. :o( I am very jealous of you!

    Glad to see you're keeping your strength up by feasting on 3 wonderfully hearty meals each day, and a fluid intake consisting only of red wine... ;o)

    ReplyDelete