Friday 6 January 2012

Resolutions?

I don't really believe in making New Year resolutions.  But this is such a big year that I want to set out my plans and make a huge effort to stick to them.

First and foremost, I've made a decision to go back to work when Skye's rehabilitation is complete - around mid February.  I have realised over the last 6 months that, although I do love animals and wish to change the animal world, I do not have the "va va voom" that propels me to make such a drastic change in life.  I'm a dreamer but not a do-er. I can lose myself in a visual spectacle containing nature at it's finest and seriously believe that I could be the next greatest nature photographer, camera-woman, commentator...but when it comes down to it, I don't have the drive and ambition. I realise that if you really, really want to be something or do something, you need to knock down doors, speak to tons of people, listen to people saying you can't do it and bounce back and vow to try even harder...That is so not me. Even when I left my job, I did not have a clear picture of what I wanted to do. I figured the picture would become clearer as I let fate guide me. There is no doubt that animals and nature are a big part of my life and my interests but I have been easily distracted and that "picture" has never really come into focus.  But I can compromise and that is to go back into the oil industry on a part time basis (about 2 or 3 days a week) allowing me time every week to study and volunteer.  I think that's a great compromise.

If the job plans come together then I have a wish list of things I'd like to do in 2012:
  • Visit Africa and see gorillas in the wild
  • Go to a music festival
  • Visit Northern Scotland in Dougal
  • Go to Iona
  • Visit my friend, Sandy, in Switzerland
  • Go to a West End London show
  • Eat in a Michelin star restaurant
  • Take a photography course
  • Learn to dance (salsa or tango)
  • Buy a more reliable car (in exchange for Punto NOT for Dougal - Dougal's staying put)
  • Visit Monkey World with my mum
Quite an impressive list don't you think - and they're not cheap either!  So I'd better get job hunting now...

1 comment:

  1. What a great plan for 2012 Julie, I am sure you will manage to tick these off. We have some items in common (from my extended "Bucket List") - perhaps we should get together on those!! I think you are being hard on yourself - you are the one person I would say is a "doer". Dreams can be turned into reality if we keep chipping away at them. And you have made a very positive start in the right direction!! Don't forget that the world isn't changed overnight - people work for years to achieve that. Pick one thing (wish I'd been given that advice years ago) - and keep taking the next step!! Here's to 2012 xx

    ReplyDelete